All Languages    |   EN   SV   IS   IT   RU   FR   RO   PT   HU   LA   NL   SK   HR   ES   BG   NO   FI   CS   TR   DA   PL   EL   SR   EO   |   SK   HU   FR   PL   NL   SQ   RU   NO   ES   SV   IT   DA   PT   CS   HR   RO   |   more ...

Engelsk-svensk ordbok

BETA Online Dictionary Swedish-English: Enter keyword here!
 Ääáà...
  Options | Tips | FAQ | Abbreviations | Desktop

LoginSign Up
Home|About/Extras|Vocab Trainer|Subjects|Users|Forum|Contribute!
Übersetzungsforum Englisch-Schwedisch
 Hello. Could you please help. »
« Spanska meaning    

Swedish-English Translation of
inflectionless verbs

« go back | show/hide answers | notify of additions
Term:
inflectionless verbs in Swedish  
by Pedroski (UN), Last modified: 2014-04-13, 01:31  Spam?  
Hi, I cannot speak Swedish, but I hear, Swedish has no verb inflections, so the verb stays the same in all persons. I did ask on this forum once, and some kind soul confirmed this for me.

English is almost the same, with the exception of the Third Person, which usually carries an extra 's', as in 'likes, loves, cooks'

If English were not so, we might have some tricky situations, such as:

The horse stand stand in the meadow. (horse stand is a compound noun)
The sunflower flower in June.
The rainwater water the fields.
The sunshine shine on the water.

From these four simple examples, I hope you can see what I'm getting at.

I believe a lot of language is just habit, with a background of logic.

How does Swedish, with no verb inflections, even in the Third Person, get around this problem?? Does this kind of word double up even occur in Swedish? Could you give me any examples, maybe the four above, please?
Answer:
inflection in Swedish  #769431
by wawaio, 2014-09-21, 13:25  Spam?  161.52.14...
Hi, I am only a beginner myself, but I think I can show you one aspect of how this works.

In English, some nouns and verbs have the exact same form, as you have shown in your examples.
(flower - to flower, water - to water, stand - to stand, etc.)
In Swedish, you have the infinitive form of a verb, that in some cases can be the same as the noun. A very good example for this is flower: blomma. The verb is also blomma, but only in infinitive form. There still is an inflected form, which is used for ALL PERSONS. This is the difference. So you have infinitive forms and personal forms. The verb blomma (infinitive) turns into blommar when it is used with any kind of grammatical person.

This means that "inflected" verbs usually have other endings than nouns, so you can immediately tell the difference.
(the) water: vatten, (to) water: vattna, (someone) waters: vattnar
(the) stand: stånd, (to) stand: stå, (someone) stands: står

Most verbs have an added -r in the end for persons in present tense. :)

Optional: Login | Sign Up 
  Answer the question or add a comment
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
back to top | home© 2002 - 2017 Paul Hemetsberger | contact
Swedish-English online dictionary (Engelsk-svensk ordbok) developed to help you share your knowledge with others. More information!
Links to this dictionary or to single translations are very welcome! Questions and Answers
Remove Ads